Analytical Scientist – Valens Labs
About Valens Labs Ltd.
A state-of-the-art cannabis laboratory using cutting-edge analytical techniques. It is one of the only laboratories in the world to receive the Thermo Fisher Scientific “Center of Excellence in Plant Based Medicines” and is the first in Canada to be accredited with the highest globally-recognized compliance standards for Cannabis. ISO 17025 accredited, Valens Labs is fully licensed through Health Canada as a testing laboratory for cannabis products and provide full suit testing service for the purposes of optimizing cannabis safety testing and analysis workflows including microbiological tests, multi-residue analysis methods along with potency and terpenes profiling using a variety of analytical platforms such as LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, UPLC-DAD and qPCR from Thermo Fisher Scientific and SCIEX. Valens Labs is located in Kelowna, BC among the rolling hills and orchards of the beautiful Okanagan Valley. It is equipped with all the tools a modern, industry-leading laboratory should have.
Why work with us?
Valens Labs believes in the well-being of the employees and their happiness. Its employees are passionate, engaged, and extremely motivated to succeed and achieve the best results. We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits, and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance. We are continuously seeking high calibre professionals to join our team.
About the position
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Analytical Scientist with a strong background in analytical chemistry to join our team that applies LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, HPLC-DAD and qPCR techniques for Cannabis testing. The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to work independently and possess solid practical experience in using GC-MS/MS (and LC-MS/MS) and related software operation for small molecules qualitative and quantitative analysis. The candidate will also be able to successfully work in a team environment, interact with external clients and vendors in a courteous manner, and perform duties in a highly regulated industry utilizing the appropriate SOPs and guidelines. Previous experience in the analysis of foods and natural products will be given added consideration.
Required education and experience
- Graduate degree (B.Sc. or M.Sc.) in Analytical Chemistry or a closely related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience (within the last 4 years) in routinely using Thermo Fisher Scientific GC-MS/MS (and LC-MS/MS) systems for qualitative and quantitative analysis of food and/or plant samples, data analysis and interpretation.
- Knowledge and expertise in sample preparation and cleanup techniques that are required for food and/or plant samples.
- Skill to accurately test large numbers of samples with reliable repeatability and commitment to achieve good quality work.
- Experience in using Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to record and document all analytical activities and results during the processing of samples.
- Knowledge and understanding of GLP regulations.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, changing environment.
Additional desired abilities and skills
- Familiarity with Thermo Fisher Trace 1310 GC coupled to TSQ 8000 Evo MS (GC-MS/MS) and Vanquish UPLC coupled to TSQ Altis MS (LC-MS/MS) instruments and related softwares such X-calibur, Trace Finder and Chromeleon.
- Ability to assist with instrumentational analysis including, equipment calibration, dilutions, sequence creation, and other related tasks on ICP-MS, GC-MS/MS, LC-MS/MS and HPLC-DAD.
- Routinely perform basic lab support duties, including: equipment maintenance, purchase of consumables, lab and freezer organization, requisitioning of waste, etc.
- Maintain Quality Control records and perform quality review of data to ensure the accuracy and integrity of results.
- Assist in the training and development of other chemists.
- Utilize self-reliance in understanding and adhering to laboratory safety precautions and proper use of personal protective equipment.
How to apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to the lab manager Dr. Houssain El Aribi at firstname.lastname@example.org and quote “Analytical Scientist – Valens Labs” in the subject line.
Valens Labs is committed to complying with the highest standards of practice in our industry. It is an ongoing condition of employment that all employees comply with these standards and Company Polices and that all employees understand and are equally committed to upholding our commitment to abide by such standards and policies. This position may be subject to a background check.
Valens Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Return to Careers