Corporate Securities Clerk
As part of the Valens team you will work closely with our internal and external lawyers, as well as the Corporate/Business Development and Finance teams. You will report directly to the General Counsel and be responsible for supporting, coordinating and administering the day-to-day affairs of the legal and corporate affairs department by providing a range of securities law clerk, corporate clerical and related administrative contributions.
- Securities: Maintain and update records of common shares, warrants and preferred shares working with other internal groups (i.e. accounting/finance) and external groups (transfer agent, brokers/key shareholders).
- Corporate Board Matters: Managing board, committee and shareholder meetings including organizing, delivering and assisting with preparing meeting materials (agendas, notices, presentations, resolutions etc.), and preparing minutes for these meetings.
- Transactions: Part of the team assisting on important corporate transactions including financings and M&A transactions by drafting and managing certain documentation including precedent comparisons, draft resolutions, post-closing matters, and record book creation. Facilitating and shepherding due diligence reviews and liaising with counterparties and external counsel.
- Continuous Disclosure Documents: Coordinate updating and compiling the AIF, Management Information Circular, shelf prospectus as required. Reviewing precedent and industry best practices.
- Filings: Preparing and managing all public company filings on SEDAR, SEDI, TSX and any other applicable database. Subsidiary filings as required across applicable jurisdictions.
- Equity Compensation Plans: Assisting with interpretation and management of plans (options, RSU, DSU) including implementation of systems such as Solium as well as ensuring accurate completion of insider-reporting obligations.
- Minute Books: Maintaining and updating minute books for the Company and subsidiaries.
- Board, Corporate and Department Calendars: Proactively managing the Board, corporate, and department calendars with any required deadlines using appropriate management or tickler system.
- Legal Document Review: Preliminary review and creation of legal documentation including NDAs and LOIs.
- Organization: Creation and maintenance of filing and document/information management systems for the department and contract management both electronic and paper. Maintain and update precedents and versions for efficient retrieval and use.
- Research: Completing research tasks including reviewing precedent public disclosure records, OSC guidance and industry best practices for corporate governance and appropriate corporate social responsibility.
- Additional Support: Support C-Suite executives, General Counsel and department as needed including organizational and administrative support.
Skills & Qualifications
- Post-secondary education; Legal Administration and/or Law Clerk Diploma or Paralegal with applicable experience.
- Member, or eligible to become a member of ILCO.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience as a corporate law clerk at a public company (preferred), financial institution or law firm.
- Experience with preparing/filing public company filings (SEDAR, SEDI, TSX), continuous disclosure documents, equity compensation plans, and company securities is required.
- Proactive and self-motivated with meticulous attention to detail and demonstrated strong work ethic.
- Problem solver and able to organize (yourself and others).
- Strong at prioritizing workload and managing multiple priorities, delivering on required tasks with accuracy and precision.
- Strong drafting and proofreading skills coupled with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Previous experience with implementation and use of Solium, Diligent Boards is an asset.
- Familiarity with tickler calendar management system or similar.
- High proficiency in document production and formatting, with a thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Power point) and Adobe Acrobat.
Please send your cover letter and resume to [email protected] to apply.
Return to Careers