GC-MS/MS Application Scientist
Valens Labs LTD
Is one of the laboratories in the world to receive the Thermo Fisher Scientific “Center of Excellence in Plant-Based Medicines” and is the first in Canada to be accredited with the highest globally-recognized compliance standards for Cannabis. ISO 17025 accredited, Valens Labs is a State-of-the-Art Cannabis laboratory using cutting-edge analytical techniques and fully licensed through Health Canada as a testing laboratory for cannabis products. It provides full-suite testing service for the purposes of optimizing cannabis safety testing using a variety of analytical platforms such as LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, UPLC-DAD and qPCR from Thermo Fisher Scientific, SCIEX and BioRad. Valens Labs is located in Kelowna, BC among the rolling hills and orchards of the beautiful Okanagan Valley and it is equipped with all the tools a modern, industry-leading laboratory should have.
Why Work with Us?
Valens Labs believes in the well-being of the employees and their happiness. Its employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed and achieve the best results. We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance. We are continuously seeking high calibre professionals to join our team.
About the Position
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and experienced GC-MS/MS Application Scientist with a strong background in analytical chemistry and chromatography to join our team that applies LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, HPLC-UV and qPCR techniques for cannabis products testing. This is an exciting opportunity to work in the emerging and fast-paced environment of cannabis laboratory testing.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated the ability to independently analyze samples, validate methodologies, and troubleshoot assays. Experience with development, optimization and validation pesticides methods is required. He/She will also need to be able to successfully work in a team environment, interact with external clients and vendors in a courteous manner, and perform duties in a highly regulated industry utilizing the appropriate SOPs and guidelines. Previous experience with samples extraction techniques and some familiarity with other instrumentation utilized for cannabis products testing such as LC-MS/MS and ICP-MS will be given added consideration.
You are the ideal candidate if you have the following:
- Graduate degree (B.Sc., M.Sc. or Ph.D.) in Analytical Chemistry or closely related field.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience (within the last 4 years) in using GC-MS/MS technology for routine analysis of food, environmental, forensic or cannabis samples.
- Experience with samples extraction techniques such as QuEChERS and pesticides testing methods are desirable.
- Comprehensive understanding of the theory and practice of GC, GC/MS and related softwares.
- Experience in developing, validating routine GC-MS/MS methods and modifying SOPs.
- Ability to work independently and accurately test large numbers of clients’ samples with a commitment to achieve reliable and good quality work and consistently meet client turnaround time requirements.
- Experience in using LIMS system to record and document analytical activities and results during the processing of samples.
- Knowledge and understanding of GLP regulations.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Track record of complying with all quality and regulatory policies and updating of all required SOP’s and quality records for equipment maintenance, testing, analysis and design of experiments, as needed.
Additional Desired Abilities and Skills:
- Routinely perform basic lab support duties, including: purchase of consumables, lab and freezer organization, requisitioning of waste, etc.
- Maintain quality control records and perform quality review of data to ensure the accuracy and integrity of results.
- Assist in the training and development of other colleagues.
- Utilize self-reliance in understanding and adhering to laboratory safety precautions and proper use of personal protective equipment.
- Maintain a safe, clean, well-organized, and efficient laboratory work environment.
- Remain up-to-date on all SOPs and maintain documentation required for compliance.
- Assist in maintaining the laboratory for ISO/CALA accreditation standards and future audits.
How to apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to the lab manager Dr. Houssain El Aribi at email@example.com and quote “GC-MS/MS – Valens Labs” in the subject line.
Valens Labs is committed to complying with the highest standards of practice in our industry. It is an ongoing condition of employment that all employees comply with these standards and Company Policies and that all employees understand and are equally committed to upholding our commitment to abide by such standards and policies. This position may be subject to a background check.
Valens Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
For more information on available positions, please visit our Careers page.
Return to Careers