Valens Labs LTD
A State-of-the-Art Cannabis laboratory using cutting-edge analytical techniques. It is one of the laboratories in the world to receive the Thermo Fisher Scientific “Center of Excellence in Plant Based Medicines” and is the first in Canada to be accredited with the highest globally-recognized compliance standards for Cannabis. ISO 17025 accredited, Valens Labs is fully licensed through Health Canada as a testing laboratory for cannabis products and provide full suit testing service for the purposes of optimizing cannabis safety testing and analysis workflows including microbiological tests, multi-residue analysis methods along with potency and terpenes profiling using a variety of analytical platforms such as LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, UPLC-DAD and qPCR from Thermo Fisher Scientific, SCIEX and BioRad. Valens Labs is located in Kelowna, BC among the rolling hills and orchards of the beautiful Okanagan valley and it is equipped with all the tools a modern, industry-leading laboratory should have.
Why Work with Us?
Valens Labs believes in well-being of the employees and their happiness. Its employees are passionate, engaged and extremely motivated to succeed and achieve the best results. We offer challenging career opportunities, competitive benefits and an environment that recognizes and rewards performance. We are continuously seeking high caliber professionals to join our team.
About the Position
We are currently seeking an enthusiastic and experienced qPCR Analyst with a strong background in molecular biology and/or microbiology techniques, specifically DNA/RNA isolation and qPCR to join our team that applies LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS, ICP-MS, HPLC-DAD and qPCR techniques for Cannabis Products testing. This is an exciting opportunity to work in the emerging and fast paced environment of cannabis laboratory testing.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated ability to independently analyze samples, validate methodologies, and troubleshoot assays. Experience with development, optimization and validation microbiology methods, specifically in relation to detection of microbial contamination is required. He/She will also need to be able to successfully work in a team environment, interact with external clients and vendors in a courteous manner, and perform duties in a highly regulated industry utilizing the appropriate SOPs and guidelines. Previous experience with chemistry and separation sciences, specifically wet lab techniques and some familiarity with instrumentation utilized for cannabis products testing (LC-UV, LC-MS/MS, GC-MS/MS and ICP-MS) will be given added consideration.
You are the ideal Candidate if you have the following:
- Graduate degree (B.Sc., M.Sc. or Ph.D.) in Biological Sciences (Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Biology) or closely related field.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience (within the last 3 years) in using qPCR to perform microbial testing on samples and characterize/identify micro-organisms such as E. coli, Salmonella and fungi. Experience with other pathogen detection methods (such as cell culture, plating and enumeration) is desirable.
- Experience in developing, validating and performing robust qPCR assays for the identification and quantification of micro-organisms in samples.
- Experience in developing and modifying SOPs relating to microbial testing.
- Skill to accurately test large numbers of samples with reliable repeatability and commitment to achieve good quality work.
- Experience in using Laboratory Information Management System (LIMS) to record and document analytical activities and results during the processing of samples.
- Knowledge and understanding of GLP regulations.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills to meet deadlines in a fast-paced, changing environment.
- Track record of complying with all quality and regulatory policies and updating of all required SOP’s and quality records for equipment maintenance, testing, analysis and design of experiments, as needed.
Additional Desired Abilities and Skills:
- Routinely perform basic lab support duties, including: purchase of consumables, lab and freezer organization, requisitioning of waste, etc.
- Maintain quality control records and perform quality review of data to ensure the accuracy and integrity of results.
- Assist in the training and development of other colleagues.
- Utilize self-reliance in understanding and adhering to laboratory safety precautions and proper use of personal protective equipment.
- Maintain a safe, clean, well-organized, and efficient laboratory work environment.
- Remain up-to-date on all SOPs and maintain documentation required for compliance.
- Assist in maintaining the laboratory for ISO/CALA accreditation standards and future audits.
How to apply
Please email your resume and cover letter to the lab manager Dr. Houssain El Aribi at firstname.lastname@example.org and quote “qPCR – Valens Labs” in the subject line.
Valens Labs is committed to complying with the highest standards of practice in our industry. It is an ongoing condition of employment that all employees comply with these standards and Company Polices and that all employees understand and are equally committed to upholding our commitment to abide by such standards and policies. This position may be subject to a background check.
Valens Labs is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.
Return to Careers