Senior Scientist, Purification
Senior Scientist Job Description
The Senior Scientist, Purification reports directly to the Head of R&D and is responsible for developing the cannabinoid purification program at Valens. This position involves performing lab scale R&D and assisting in transferring the technology to pilot and/or production scales as per company requirements. The main processes to be developed and/or optimized are distillation, crystallization and chromatographic purification of cannabinoids.
- Work with the Head of R&D to establish strategic plan for the cannabinoid purification program at Valens.
- Procure, install and qualify R&D equipment for purification processes.
- Perform R&D to develop and optimize distillation, crystallization and chromatography methods for the purification of abundant (THC and CBD) and trace cannabinoids (CBG, THCV, CBC, etc).
- Utilize design of experiments (DoE) approach and chemometrics to optimize processes.
- Assist in developing design basis and material balance required for selecting and sizing pilot and/or production scale purification equipment.
- Assist in process design for pilot and/or production scale purification processes.
- Assist in selection, procurement, installation and qualification of equipment required for pilot and/or production scale cannabinoid purification.
- Write batch records, SOPs and qualification documents related to purification processes/equipment.
- Write R&D protocols, reports and other technical documents.
- Write protocols for and execute validation of purification processes.
- Train production staff to operate pilot and/or production scale purification equipment.
- Develop GMP-compliant and high yielding methods for conversion of Δ9-THC to CBN and Δ8-THC.
- Work with third party consultants as required.
- Strictly follow and adhere to all company policies, safety standards, Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) and current Good Manufacturing Practices (cGMP).
- Masters of Science in organic chemistry or biochemistry
- PhD in organic chemistry or biochemistry would be considered an asset
- Publications and/or patents in the fields of organic chemistry or biochemistry would be considered assets
- Experience operating and developing/optimizing methods for short path, wiped-film and/or rolled film distillation systems
- Experience developing and optimizing crystallization methods
- Experience developing and optimizing chromatography methods (production – prep HPLC, flash chromatography, CPC; analytical – HPLC, LC-MS, GC-MS)
- Hands-on experience with cannabinoid purification would be considered a strong asset.
- Hands-on experience with cannabis extraction (CO2, ethanol, hydrocarbon) would be considered an asset
- Hands-on experience with chemical synthesis would be considered an asset
- Impeccable organizational skills
- Ability to prioritize multiple project deliverables with high attention to detail
- Proven ability to plan and organize process/product development projects
- Impeccable verbal and written communication skills
- Proficient using MS Office software
- Familiarity with the Cannabis Act and cGMP regulations
- Experience working in a cGMP or ISO regulated work environment
To inquire about this Senior Scientist, Purification position, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected]
Return to Careers